So occasionally I thought it would be cool to write about something not explicitly related to medical school or the application process. Bear with me.
I am always weary of the movie adaptations of a book I so thoroughly enjoyed. Especially when it is clear that this movie could have easily embellished the areas of how cancer affected the two's relationship while shying away from the reality of the cancer itself. However, "The Fault in Our Stars" gave its target audience what it wanted in terms of a deeply emotional and endearing love story (I have never been so aware of the crying that was going on around me in a theatre) with a strong and likable female protagonist. And it did these things very well. What most satisfied me was TFIOS staying true to its readers who were interested in more than just star crossed love. The books questions of: "What purpose did my life serve?" and "Will I be remembered after I'm gone?" are still examined in the movie, even if in a diminished way. I was thrilled to see that the movie did not pull any punches when portraying the harsh road of chemotherapy graphically exemplified by the Augustus late night break down in his car.
But as someone hoping to study medicine, I appreciated the honesty and realism of the way Green brought to light the isolation felt by the sick and dying. Hazel and Augustus both exhibited disdain for their sicknesses being the "elephant in the room" or being gawked at by strangers. A scene from the book absent in the movie that I really enjoyed was one where Hazel was sitting alone at the mall. A young child with her mother approached Hazel and innocently asked her about her oxygen tank. The mother was visibly mortified but Hazel smiled and allowed the child to try it on. It really showed the way our society wants to ignore the uncomfortable realities that some have to endure everyday. I don't think I could ever relate to living with one foot in the grave like Hazel Lancaster and Augustus Waters. But "The Fault in Our Stars" certainly helped me appreciate the struggle of those in this situation and that is something I hope to carry with me in the future.
Hi I'm John and I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friends. QOTD: Have you read or seen TFIOS? Thoughts?

No comments:
Post a Comment