Wednesday, June 4, 2014

How to Become a Doctor..... Maybe

I remember a number of times during my pre-med career where the worry of whether I could realistically get into medical school prompted me to stay up all night on Google instead of sleeping. 

I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for. Mostly validation and maybe a little peace of mind. But, if you know anything about the Internet, it is just easy to find support as it is to find discouragement. I would stay up for hours asking the cosmos if my stats were up to par, or if I had the right extracurriculars, or even if I was the right type of person to become a medical student. During my exhaustion, I distinctly remember searching: "how to become a doctor." As you might guess, the results weren't all that satisfying and definitely didn't give the "hey, stop worrying you'll probably be fine" feeling that I wanted. 

So maybe you found this blog by doing this same neurotic Googling I did. 

If that's the case, I should start by saying that I don't have any insider information. I am not a doctor or even a medical student. But, hey, I AM working on it. I am writing to give people a little bit of an idea of what applying to medical school is like. I hope to share with you during this 2014-2015 application season all my successes, failures, and anything I have learned along the way. Maybe you are also applying to medical school. If so, I would love to hear all about it.

But if you're an undergraduate student who is up all night worrying: stop. You're not getting anywhere. Just work hard and everything else will take care of itself. 

If you're still not satisfied maybe this will help.

Hey, my name is John. Thank you for reading. I am new at this so if you could comment that would be great. Not only will comments make me a lot more likely to keep writing, but then we could also be buds or whatever. Are you applying to schools right now? Whats your top choice?
Follow me on twitter: 
@johnnnycor

No comments:

Post a Comment