Here are a few bullet points for people who have just dealt
with the soul crushing failure that is medical school rejection and now need to
pick themselves up off the floor and try again.
1.) Take some time to recover
![]() |
| No sympathy from Emma Stone |
2.) Critically examine your application
When I submitted my applications last year, I believed that it was
good enough to be a success (If I didn't I never would have submitted it).
Going through the entire application process (especially interviews) put every
detail of my application under the microscope. Things I thought were adequate
were actually significant holes that I wish I realized needed to be addressed.
Maybe it was your GPA, MCAT, or lack of solid clinical experience. Be honest with yourself. If you would like to take this
self-examination one step further, then try contacting some schools that
rejected you. Try and arrange a meeting or a phone call with someone in the
admissions office who can point you towards areas to improve.
3.) Fill in the holes of your app.
Now is the time to put this research to use. If you feel your GPA
is what's holding you down, consider a post baccalaureate program or
graduate school. If your MCAT score is well below 30 consider taking it again.
If you are graduated or about to graduate you may find it much easier to study
without the burden of undergrad course work. Finally, there is no such thing as too much
clinical experience. Contact physicians to shadow or see if a
hospital near you has a strong volunteering program. A significant amount of secondary applications will ask you what you have been doing since you have been out of school, and, if you are a re-applicant, many will want to know how you have improved your application since your last attempt. It is imperative that you can answer these questions.
![]() |
| Hang in there, Jake |
4.) Improve your strategy
Something I believe really hurt me was having bad application
strategy. I submitted to AMCAS during a busy period and it took 6 weeks to be
verified. I was slow with filling out secondary applications. I did not thoroughly research
the schools to which I applied (this hurt me during secondary
essays/interviews), and I did not apply widely. Buy the MSAR and DO YOUR RESEARCH! Get organized and submit things early, but DO NOT submit
rushed and sloppy essays. Scores on the lower end of the spectrum can be
partially compensated for by good writing and good interviewing. That starts with
knowing what is important to the schools in which you are interested. Put the time in.
Hey I'm John and thank you for reading. For any of the true fans who have made it this far into the blog, the question of the week is: Have you applied to medical school in previous years? What are some mistakes you made? Comments are cool. Let's chat.


No comments:
Post a Comment